10 Ways To Prevent Mold
How To Prevent Mold From Destroying Your Home
Believe it or not, mold is actually an important part of Nature and the source of food and medicines. Mold plays an important role in breaking down organic matter like dead leaves and limbs. It is also used to make penicillin and in the making of some cheeses, such as brie. But mold in your home is not only ugly, but can be dangerous to your health.
Mold spores need damp or humid conditions to grow and spread. While mold can be cleaned, it is much better to try to prevent it.
Here are 10 ways to prevent mold from growing in your home:
- Make sure you have proper ventilation in your home, especially basements, attics, bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens and anywhere else where moisture is present.
- Turn on the ventilation fan when cooking or taking a shower to remove moisture from the room.
- Use mold-resistant sheetrock and paints when building or renovating.
- Use a dehumidifier.
- Clean up any spills, leaks or puddles in the home immediately.
- Routinely check windows and ceilings for signs of condensation that may indicate moisture is getting in.
- Poor air circulation can cause moisture to be trapped in closets or other closed areas. Keep doors open and use ceiling fans to keep air circulating.
- Keep gutters cleaned out and in good repair.
- Make sure water drains away from your home and does not puddle up around the foundation.
- Cover cold water pipes with insulation to prevent condensation.